It is currently Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Helpful Tip - Paying the tax bill in person, if possible.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:43 pm 

To a certain extent we all learn by trial and error, some more than others. I try to avoid learning the hard way as much as possible especially when it costs me money. One of my recent learning experiences deals with making sure your property hasn't been redeemed BEFORE paying the tax bill.

Most parishes will take 4-6 weeks to send you a notice (with check) that the property you purchased at tax sale has been redeemed. It has happened to me more than a few times where the owner redeems the property but did not pay the current year's taxes owed. If this happens around Dec, Jan, Feb then don't assume that the property hasn't been redeemed just because you haven't received a notice in the mail yet. When you pay someone else's taxes (as having been explained to me by the nice ladies in the St. Tammany sherrif's office) the owner has no legal obligation to refund you the money. Anyone at any time can pay someone's taxes. Don't just assume that the property hasn't been redeemed when you get the tax bill in the mail. If you send a check in the mail it is also possible that the owners could redeemed the property before the parish receives your check.

Before paying the tax bill on your properties it is always best to go in person and check that none of the properties have been redeemed, only then hand the payment over.

Offline Profile